Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Lines-As in defining shapes

In this piece I started by pasting different shapes I cut from labels on the paper in a pleasing arrangement. Then I painted over the whole page with black ink. I then removed all the labels. I used watercolor to fill in the white areas and finally blended oil pastel on top. I allowed myself to relax; I wasn't trying to color within the lines.

When I stopped, I thought that I had enjoyed the sharp edges of the shapes and felt a little sorry that I had blurred them. I took a thick black marker and began to restore the edges. I stopped because I wasn't sure I liked what I had done. Now I'm pondering whether or not to continue lining the edges, use oil pastel to blend them again, or simply move on to another piece. Sometimes, it just doesn't matter. What do you think?



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think, put it away for a bit and then see if it feels lighter or heavier to continue. A-line with the feeling...